Electrical installations outdoors
Special protection of wires and cables against UV radiation
Be it satellite dishes or solar panels, air conditioning units as well as other installations on exterior façades of residential buildings or industrial facilities – outdoor conduits must meet particularly high demands. The task of conduits is to reliably protect cables from high mechanical stress resulting from, e.g., strong wind influence. Cables must also be shielded from changing weather conditions such as rain, moisture, cold and snow, as well as UV radiation.
Years of exposure to UV radiation or weather take a lot out of unprotected cables and wires: they do not just change their colour but become brittle and flawed. This compromises the reliability as well as the function of the entire electrical installation. FRÄNKISCHE offers suitable conduits made of plastic or metal for UV protection.
Standards and provisions
Conduits are considered electrical equipment and are subject to the Low Voltage Directive.
All electrical equipment subject to the Low Voltage Directive must bear the CE Marking.
In order to comply with the safety requirements of the Low Voltage Directive, DIN VDE and DIN product standards and erection regulations must be complied with.
DIN VDE 0100-520
Low-voltage electrical installations - Part 5: Selection and erection of electrical equipment; chapter 52: Wiring systems
• This part 520 of the standards of the DIN VDE 0100 (VDE 0100) series outlines the selection and erection of wiring systems.
• Minimum requirements for the point of installation.
The standard amendment of 01 July 2013 means:
• the end of flame-propagating conduits
• the end of pliable, resilient conduits in concrete
• a new test method for zero halogen conduits
For more information on standards, please refer to our conduit guide for experts.
DIN EN 61386-1 (VDE 0605-1)
Conduit systems for cable management – Part 1: General requirements
• This standard defines requirements and tests relating to conduit systems, including conduits, conduit fittings and accessories, for the protection and routing of insulated wires and cables in electrical installations or in communication systems up to 1,000 V a.c. and/or 1,500 V d.c.
• Conduit classification codes
DIN EN 61386-21 (VDE 0605-21)
Conduit systems for cable management – Part 21: Particular requirements - Rigid conduit systems
DIN EN 61386-22 (VDE 0605-22)
Conduit systems for cable management – Part 22: Particular requirements - Pliable conduit systems
Subsequent protection with “zipper system”
Co-flex and PV-COOR allow retrofit installations to protect cables and wires quickly and easily.
The perforated, resealable corrugated conduits with “zipper principle” are retrofitted around already installed wires and cables.
- open conduit – insert wires and cables into conduit – slip over external conduit – done
- protection of supply lines such as photovoltaic systems or solar collectors against damage from marten and rodent bites and environmental impacts
- durable, stable connection thanks to complementary profile geometries
- inexpensive solution for retrofit installations